Weekly Wraps (February 20-26, 2012)
D.A. Carson on TGC Women’s Conference, John Starke on B.B. Warfield, Chuck Colson and Timothy George on Obama’s contraceptive mandate, and et cetera.
1. Interview with Don Carson on the TGC Women’s Conference (Tony Reinke) – Carson answers some questions on the first Women’s Conference of The Gospel Coalition (TGC).
2. The Lion Who Died February 16 (John Starke) – Starke on B.B. Warfield.
3. First They Came for the Catholics: Obama’s Contraceptive Mandate (Chuck Colson and Timothy George) – Colson and George calls for action regarding Obama’s mandate. This article is definitely controversial.
4. Thursday is for Thinkers: Eugene Cho (Cho via Ed Stetzer) – Cho on “downward mobility” and “a lifestyle of enough.” Inspiring!
5. The MacArthur Study Bible (NIV) (Phil Johnson) – MacArthur Study Bible on NIV2011. This is interesting.
6. Spiritual Leadership May Be Heartbreaking, but It Is Always Hopeful (Jon Bloom) – Bloom on Moses and leadership. He writes: “Spiritual leadership may be hard and heartbreaking, but it is always hopeful because of where the hope is anchored. Moses’ reward was not the peoples’ admiration, and not even the Promised Land. God was his reward (Hebrews 11:26). And any servant-leader whose reward is God can weather the storms with overcoming faith and joy. Any leader whose reward is something else will not last.”
7. The Strategically Generous Church (Craig Groeschel) – Groeschel on giving strategically. He writes: “Instead of just planning our next building project or fundraiser, we should also ‘plan to do what is generous.'”
8. When the Accounts Are Called: A Christian Understanding of Gambling (Albert Mohler) – Mohler on gambling. Finally, I have a grasp of the issue.
9. “He Knows My Name!” A Defense of Church Member Directories (Tony Reinke)
10. He Knows My Name! He Knows My Name! (John Piper) – Piper on knowing a person’s name. His point seems simple, but is actually profound.
11. Know Your Evangelicals: Charles Colson (Joe Carter)
12. Give Up the Gimmicks, Youth Pastors (Brian Cosby) – Cosby on youth ministry. He pleads: “With all my heart, I plead with you to not be tempted with “success,” professionalism, or the fading fads of our entertainment-driven culture. Rather, pursue Jesus as the all-satisfying Treasure that he is and feed his young sheep with the means God has provided.”
13. Casino Culture and the Collapse of Character (Albert Mohler) – Mohler on casinos. He concludes: “In the final analysis, the greatest danger posed by the casino is not anything that can be determined by economic analysis, because the greatest injury caused by gambling is not financial — it is moral.”
14. 6 Ways Sex Is a Gift (Mark Driscoll) – Driscoll gives 6 glorious benefits of sex.
15. Why Did God Let Paul Become a Murderer? (John Piper)
16. The Power of Clarity in Your Church’s Vision (Matt Steen) – Steen on vision statements. He gives four qualities of a great vision statement.
18. Read the Bible Devotionally — and No Less Critically (D.A. Carson) – Carson being interviewed on devotions.