Weekly Wraps (January 23-29, 2012)
Albert Mohler (and others) on abortion, Kevin DeYoung on preaching and God’s Word, Nathan Bingham on John Calvin’s preaching, and et cetera.
1. “Abortion is as American as Apple Pie” — The Culture of Death Finds a Voice (Albert Mohler) – Mohler on abortion.
2. Preach Like You Mean It (Kevin DeYoung) – DeYoung on preaching and God’s Word. I fully agree with this: “The only hope we preachers have for success in the ministry is the power inherent in the word of God. We can have no other confidence.”
3. 10 Distinguishing Marks of John Calvin’s Preaching (Nathan Bingham) – Bingham adapts Steven Lawson’s contribution to John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.
4. Should I Stay or Should I Go? (Adam Holz) – Holz on trusting God whatever one’s decision is. He writes: “God was more interested in whether I was trusting Him than which fork in the road I took.”
5. Picking the Right People (Dave Kraft) – Kraft on choosing leaders. He writes: “As the size of your group, organization, church or company grows, so does the need for more character-filled, Christ-centered, and competent leaders.”
6. J.C. Ryle, Temperance, and Abortion (John Piper) – Piper learns from Ryle, and applies it in the battle on abortion.
7. What Does Roe v. Wade Actually Say? (Jonathan Parnell) – Piper explaining what the Roe v. Wade decision says.
8. Church Journeys: First Baptist Church of Atlanta (Ed Stetzer) – Stetzer visits Dr. Charles Stanley’s congregation.
9. Five Things We Can Do For the Unborn (Josh Etter) – Piper gives practical advise in fighting abortion.
10. Don’t Take It from Me: Reasons You Should Not Marry an Unbeliever (Kathy Keller) – Keller on marrying someone who does not share the same faith.
11. Eight Ways to Live as Pro-Life Christians Under a Pro-Choice President (Jonathan Parnell) – Piper on honoring a pro-choice president.
12. Mutual Submission (Tim Challies) – Challies on “submitting to one another” (Ephesians 5:18-21).
13. James MacDonald Resigns from TGC (D.A. Carson & Tim Keller)
14. Scandal! Ex-Nun Marries Former Priest (Mark Driscoll) – Driscoll on Martin Luther’s romantic life. Cool!
15. Visual Theology – The Attributes of God (Tim Challies) – Challies provides an infographic on God’s attribute.
16. Update on C.J. Mahaney and Sovereign Grace Ministries (Justin Taylor) – Mahaney will resume the role as president of SGM, but only temporarily.
17. Do You Feel Called to Teach?(Jonathan Parnell) – Piper gives counsel to those considering a career in teaching biblical and theological studies.
18. Wordsmithy (Tim Challies)- Challies on Doug Wilson’s latest book, Wordsmithy. I want to have a copy of the book.
19. Evidence of Coming Together on Culture (Tim Keller) – Keller responding to comments on his article on culture.
20. T.D. Jakes, the Trinity, and Truth (Ed Stetzer) – Stetzer on Bishop Jakes and on his participation in The Elephant Room.
21. Owning vs. Renting Your Community (Brad House) – House on ownership of the mission within the church. I agree with him.
22. Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus (Jefferson Bethke) – I only saw this video last week while the online community has already seen it weeks ago. Cool video, powerful message.