Taking Captive Social Media
The T.V. Station GMA-7 runs a campaign for the responsible use of social media. It’s called Think Before You Click (TBYC). Below is a campaign video of TBYC.
While it’s true that social media can be used to gain friends and acquaintances, it can also be used to bring people down, even ruin their lives. That’s why I like the station’s campaign.
But for Christians, there is more to responsible use of social media.
Just as we are to take captive every thought in obedience to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5), we are to take captive social media and use it for the glory of God. I think of three ways we can do this.
1. We are to use social media, borrowing from the words of Tim Challies, in a distinctly Christian way. If some use social media to tear others down, we are to use it to bring them up instead. If some use it to spread gossips and lies, we are to use it in spreading words that heal.
2. We are to use it in such a way that builds up the church. I’m not into counseling done online; I still prefer face-to-face conversations. But sometimes, or most of the times, we do not have the luxury of time and proximity. And social media can be a solution. I thank God for technology!
There are other ways we can use social media to edify the church. You can write inspiring blogs, tweet Bible verses, so on and so forth.
3. We are to use it to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. Who knows? A chat with a friend might turn into an evangelistic conversation.
Tags: social media
About Enzo CortesEnzo Cortes is the Youth Coordinator of Jzone Makati, the youth ministry of Christ's Commission Fellowship (CCF) Makati. He also speaks for various youth and young adult groups, including CCF Makati's young singles ministry, Friday Night Light. He loves to write, read books and blogs, drink coffee, and watch MMA fights.
ATTENTION: ZOY SAUCE ETC HAS MOVED TO ITS NEW HOME
- This is Probably My Last Blog Here, Seriously. Because…
- Book Review Fridays: Leaders Who Last by Dave Kraft
- Struggling in Prayer
- Mission, Mission, and Mate
- The Infinitude of God
- Rewind (February 20-26, 2012)
- Weekly Wraps (February 20-26, 2012)
- Book Review Fridays: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- What I Think of Livestreamed Services
- Ending Up Frustrated After Quiet Times
- New blog at #ZoySauceEtc: "Leaders, Manage Well (Part 3)" - bit.ly/1O5AKhL #leadership #management 2 years ago
- RT @JohnPiper: If your spouse acts worthily, your love is the easier. If your spouse acts unworthily, your love is the more glorious. 2 years ago
- RT @DailyKeller: "If we know God's approval we won't need to fear any disapproval from others." 2 years ago
- Here are 3 things "A Second Chance" did for me: bit.ly/1lVpsG9 #ZoySauceEtc #love #marriage #ASecondChance 2 years ago
- New blog at #ZoySauceEtc: "What 'A Second Chance' Did For Me" - bit.ly/1lVpsG9 #love #marriage #ASecondChance 2 years ago