Weekly Wraps (October 17-23)
John Piper on exercise, Collin Hansen on God’s Word and women, John Knight on cause, and et cetera.
1. Physical Exercise: What I Do and Why (Part 1) – Piper blogs on what he does for exercise.
2. Physical Exercise: What I Do and Why (Part 2) (John Piper) – Piper now blogs on why he exercises. He does it “to be a more loving person and a better pastor.”
3. Growing Passion for God’s Word (Collin Hansen) – Hansen blogs on women with a growing passion for God’s Word. “Women are looking for substantive study and training with the gospel of Jesus Christ at the center.” Woman expositors? Oh YES! (See the video below)
4. Don’t Let Your Cause Eclipse God’s Glory (John Knight) – Knight blogs on cause. He writes: “We all tend to think that whatever we are most passionate about is surely God’s greatest cause. We think if people are not as excited as we are then they are wrong and need to wake up. But regardless of your cause, Jesus is the answer. Love for him and his glory is the thread that binds all of our causes together…Whatever cause we are passionate about, if it makes much of Jesus, we celebrate it together.”
5. “Bring the Books With” — A New Recommended List (David Mathis) – Mathis recommends books.
6. Hitler Killed Disabled Children and So Do We (John Knight) – Knight blogs on Hitler killing disabled children (and soon, adults) and aborting one of twins.
7. The Next Step: Disciple a Few (David Mathis) – Mathis blogs on disciple-making.
8. Pastors, Devote Yourselves to the Word and Prayer (Part 1) (Tim Kerr) – Kerr blogs on intercession.
9. Pastors, Devote Yourselves to the Word and Prayer (Part 2) (Tim Kerr) – I like what Kerr writes: “Intercession is not a ministry done from a place of strength and competence, but always as a desperate sinner praying for fellow desperate sinners. We identify with those we pray for because we are just like them.” And: “The Spirit-filled believer who uses the Word of God in prayer, is a believer whose lungs are made strong for the work of intercession.”
10. Pastors, Devote Yourselves to the Word and Prayer (Part 3) (Tim Kerr)
11. Growing Passion for God’s Word (Kathleen Nielson and Nancy Guthrie) – Nielson and Guthrie discuss about the upcoming The Gospel Coalition’s 2012 national women’s conference, and the trend on women passionate about God’s Word and the study and teaching of it.