Young Man, Before You Give Your Life to a Woman, Give Your Life to Other Men First
I’m dedicating this blog to my beloved disciples. It’s my prayer that they’ll give their lives to other men.
When I say that men should give their lives to other men, I mean that they disciple other men (see Matthew 28:19-20). And why do I want them to disciple?
In my experience in disciple-making, I would say that there are certain traits that a disciple-maker must possess. Actually, he will only possess them along the way. I have enumerated five of them:
1. Devotion. Or commitment. Or single-mindedness. Call it whatever you want. The Great Commission requires devotion, even sacrifice. The apostle Paul had this mindset:
24But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:24)
2. A Sense of Responsibility. Being a disciple-maker entails lots of responsibilities, big and small alike. The big ones include setting aside a day to study a passage in the Bible and teach it to my disciples in our weekly meetings. While the small ones include announcing our weekly meetings. I have to admit that I sometimes fail in doing my responsibilities. But the Lord is helping me in this area.
3. Leadership. Okay, there are lots of things I can say about this. Service. Integrity. Excellence. So on and so forth. For men, this is really important.
4. Humility and Patience. Making disciples isn’t easy. A disciple-maker’s efforts are in vain if he thinks he causes the growth in his disciples. Only God can cause the growth (1 Corinthians 3:6); this requires humility.
And it requires patience that this growth does not happen overnight. It may happen in months, even years!
5. Dependence on God. Given the disciple-making isn’t easy, the disciple-maker would really have to depend on the Lord Jesus. And he can depend on Him, for He promises:
20…And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)
There are other things I have learned in disciple-making. But I would have to settle with these five.
Young man, you would want to have these characteristics before you court a girl, wouldn’t you?