Some Thoughts on My Coney Reyes Blog
My blog Coney Reyes: A Reflection of Filipino Evangelicals’ Lack of Discernment? has garnered a lot of hits. It has also caught the attention of my friends, and has become the topic of a conversation with a good friend. So far, it is the most controversial blog I have ever written. Now, I’d like to take this opportunity to list down my thoughts and clarifications.
1. I expected the controversy. The title of the blog was patterned after Justin Taylor’s blog Rob Bell: A Universalist?, which ignited heated conversations in the evangelical blogosphere months ago. Obviously, the title might be seen as a personal attack on Ms. Coney Reyes. I will clarify more on this at the next point.
2. I never intended to pass judgment on anyone. I’m not passing judgment on the veteran actress or on the local church she is affiliated to. If one will take a closer look at my blog, he will find that I’m just asking questions, which I obviously wanted to be answered. (I’m aware that asking questions can already be a form of teaching. But my questions were simply honest inquiries).
3. I intended the blog as a call to Filipino evangelicals. I want them to reflect and ask themselves, “Do I lack discernment?” The blog is a call to humility and submission to the Scripture, which I believe is the primary remedy towards lack of discernment.
4. I’m taking my stand. Though I’m uncertain about the condition of the Filipino evangelical community, especially in the area of discernment, I’d like to take a stand as if the problem—the lack of discernment—is really existing. After all, we are living in the last days, and I will not be at all surprised if the problem will be proven anytime in the future.
5. I’m going do my part. I better start praying that the Lord spare His flock from such error. And I better equip myself with the Sword of the Spirit, the word of God. This is my part.