Weekly Wraps (Mar.7-13)
Ligon Duncan on Elijah, a news report on Rob Bell’s book, Sam Storms on Christian Hedonism, and et cetera.
1. Every Dream Lost. Every Dream Fulfilled. (Ligon Duncan) – It’s my first time to hear Duncan preach. He preaches for the chapel service of the Southern Seminary, on the life of Elijah. He does a good exposition.
2. Preacher’s Book Draws Debate – An ABC News (Good Morning America) report on Rob Bell issue.
3. For Your Joy (Sam Storms) – Also my first time to hear Storms speak. He speaks for the For Your Joy Desiring God 2010 Conference for Pastors. He talks about Christian Hedonism and pastoral ministry. He profoundly expresses that the goal of every pastor is to “lead, teach, counsel, instruct, and shepherd the people of God into the enjoyment of God, for the glory of God. Everything else is subordinate to that” (20:52). While he mainly addresses pastors, the message is applicable to every Christian, as he himself claims.
4. Doing Away with Hell? Part One (Albert Mohler) – Mohler writes on the topic of hell. Obviously, he writes this because of the Rob Bell mania. I love the question he asks towards the end of his article: “Is evangelical theology about marketing God to our contemporary culture, or is it our task to stand in continuity with orthodox biblical conviction–whatever the cost?”
5. King’s Cross (Tim Challies) – Challies writes his thoughts on Timothy Keller’s latest book, King’s Cross. I found a copy of this book in a bookstore. So it’s here in the Philippines! I hope to get a copy of it (There’s just so many books I want to read. Frustrating!).
6. What Bob Dylan Got Right (John Piper) – Piper blogs on Dylan’s song, Gotta Serve Somebody. Then he makes his own remix of the song. What?!?
7. Biblical and Theological Foundations for Christian Hedonism: Seven Theses (Sam Storms) – Another message from Storms at the same conference. It’s like a condensed version of John Piper’s Desiring God, and in sermon format.
8. Zondervan’s Break with Rob Bell (Denny Burk) – Burk blogs on Zondervan’s refusal to Rob Bell’s proposal. This is interesting.
9. Love Wins – A Review of Rob Bell’s New Book (Tim Challies) – Challies reviews Rob Bell’s new book. He is the first to review it. Finally, some clarity on the issue. I’m waiting for more to come.
10. Book Review: Tim Challies – “The Next Story” (Michael Krahn) – A helpful review of Tim Challies’ new book, The Next Story.
11. A Prayer for Japan (John Piper) – Piper prays for Japan.
12. Heidelberg Catechism (Live) – I found a video of Curtis Allen performing Heidelberg Catechism live at the Sovereign Grace Ministries Pastors Conference 2010.