Like, Fans, and Followers: The Narcissistic Temptations of Social Media
When I posted the blog Now I’m in Facebook, I Must Be Extra Careful: Biblical Conduct in the World of Social Media, and linked it on Facebook, I knew it will catch the attention of my friends. The topic was relevant.
I wanted to know how my blog/link would fare, so I eagerly watched as people liked my link and commented on it. Some friends even chatted with me. I knew my blog has somehow helped them. So I praise God for that! But I knew deep inside me, there’s something that should be called to my attention. And if left unchecked, it could overcome me. It’s narcissism.
When online in Facebook and Twitter, I sometimes tweet or post redirecting people to blogs that “I” wrote or to videos that “I” watched or to sites “I” visited.
It’s about “I”. There is a danger that everything can be about me.
Social media terms, such as like, fans, and followers, can also become problematic. We may ask ourselves, “How many friends have liked my post? How many fans or followers do I have?” And from the answers to these questions, we anchor our worth.
Making a deeper reflection, all these could unconsciously enlarge our egos and could be a source of a false sense of self-worth and identity. I hope it doesn’t. First Corinthians 10:31 says:
31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (emphasis added)
Let every Facebook post we post, every Tweet we tweet, every blog we write, every link we link, be not about ourselves but point to God and His glory.
About Enzo CortesEnzo Cortes is the Youth Coordinator of Jzone Makati, the youth ministry of Christ's Commission Fellowship (CCF) Makati. He also speaks for various youth and young adult groups, including CCF Makati's young singles ministry, Friday Night Light. He loves to write, read books and blogs, drink coffee, and watch MMA fights.
ATTENTION: ZOY SAUCE ETC HAS MOVED TO ITS NEW HOME
- This is Probably My Last Blog Here, Seriously. Because…
- Book Review Fridays: Leaders Who Last by Dave Kraft
- Struggling in Prayer
- Mission, Mission, and Mate
- The Infinitude of God
- Rewind (February 20-26, 2012)
- Weekly Wraps (February 20-26, 2012)
- Book Review Fridays: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- What I Think of Livestreamed Services
- Ending Up Frustrated After Quiet Times
- New blog at #ZoySauceEtc: "Leaders, Manage Well (Part 3)" - bit.ly/1O5AKhL #leadership #management 2 years ago
- RT @JohnPiper: If your spouse acts worthily, your love is the easier. If your spouse acts unworthily, your love is the more glorious. 2 years ago
- RT @DailyKeller: "If we know God's approval we won't need to fear any disapproval from others." 2 years ago
- Here are 3 things "A Second Chance" did for me: bit.ly/1lVpsG9 #ZoySauceEtc #love #marriage #ASecondChance 2 years ago
- New blog at #ZoySauceEtc: "What 'A Second Chance' Did For Me" - bit.ly/1lVpsG9 #love #marriage #ASecondChance 2 years ago